Electromagnetic Testing (ET) is a form of non-destructive testing in which electric currents are induced in a test object and the electromagnetic response is measured. Electromagnetic Testing includes various forms and methods of testing such as Eddy Current Testing (ECT), Remote Field Eddy Current Testing (RFECT), Magnetic Flux Leakage Testing (MFL) and Alternating Current Field Measurements (ACFM). These methods are used to test tubes, pipes, plates and welds in plant equipment. These advanced NDE techniques are used to detect defects such as cracks, corrosion, lamination and other anomalies.
Some of the key benefits of Electromagnetic Testing are:
- Crack Detection Capability
- Thickness verification in metals and nonmetals
- Advanced systems provide accurate sizing and characterization of defects
- Tubular format of this technology can identify and differentiate between ID & OD defects
- Newer systems provide rapid inspections due to improved sample rates
- Used for conductivity measurements
- Portable equipment can be used in various industry settings
- Dry method with minimal surface preparation requirements
Accutec provides a wide variety of Electromagnetic Testing options. Whether you are looking to test heat exchangers, boilers, pressure vessels, storage tanks or piping, our testing solutions will provide you with highly accurate and reliable results at very competitive rates. Our technicians are highly experienced in conducting these inspections in all types of industries such as Oil & Gas, Power, Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals and Food Processing.
Eddy Current Testing (ECT)
ECT is an advanced NDE method used to test Non-Ferromagnetic materials such as tubes and plates. We have over two decades of experience in testing heat exchangers, air coolers, chillers, condensers and other tubular products utilizing Eddy Current technology. These can be used on a wide variety of non ferromagnetic materials such as Copper, Admiralty Brass, Stainless Steels (300 & 400 series), Copper-Nickel, Aluminum, Hastalloy, AL6XN and also partially ferromagnetic materials such as Monel and Duplexes. Benefits of Eddy Current testing include:
- Multi Frequency system minimizes false positives from interference due to magnetic deposits
- Multi Frequency system allows for minimizing support plate interference thereby increasing detection capability under support plates
- Increased sample rates and highly automated programming software provide rapid testing of tubes in a single shift increasing productivity
- Used to detect pitting, corrosion, erosion, cracking, fretting and general wall thinning in tubes
- Capable of differentiating between ID and OD flaws
- Can inspect u-bends in exchangers
- Saturation Probes can be used to test partially ferromagnetic materials such as 400 series Stainless, Duplex and Monel.
We can provide you with high quality services in testing your shell and tube heat exchangers and Air Coolers. Whether its a planned shutdown / outage or an emergency situation, we have the expertise and availability to provide you with quality services and results. For more information, please contact us.
Remote Field Eddy Current Technique (RFECT)
RFECT is used to inspect ferromagnetic materials such as Carbon Steel and Cr-Mo alloy tubes in boilers and heat exchangers. Accutec can provide you with expert inspections of drum-to-drum boilers, feedwater heaters of other types of shell and tube exchangers utilizing this technique. Advanced technology allow for faster inspection speeds and highly automated software increases analysis speed thereby increasing productivity and facilitating quicker report turnaround times. Some of the applications and benefits of RFECT include:
- Used for testing of Carbon Steel and partially ferromagnetic materials such as Duplex and Stainless Steel 400 series
- Inspections using low frequencies (10Hz – 10000Hz) allows for improved penetration in thicker materials and detection of ID and OD defects.
- Flexible probes can be used to test through bends in exchangers and boilers
- Improved testing speed allows for quick testing of boilers and exchangers
- Dry method and less sensitive to fill factor in relation to probe size
- Can be used to detect general and localized corrosion, fretting, pitting and gradual wall thinning in tubes
Accutec has highly trained and certified technicians available to provide services even in emergency situations. For additional information, please contact us.
Magnetic Flux Leakage (MFL)
Magnetic Flux Leakage is a Non Destructive Testing method used to detect and quantify corrosion and pitting in Storage Tanks. Any change to the magnetic field is detected and analyzed. At Accutec, we can provide tank floor inspections of all sizes and diameters. Benefits of using MFL for Tank Floor inspections include:
- Quick and efficient scanning of the entire tank floor to detect deficiencies
- Follow up verification with Ultrasonics provides secondary confirmation and characterization of defects
- Ability to scan through coatings on tank floors
- Tank floor inspection available as a package along with API, Settlement Survey and UT inspections of Shell, Roof and other safety appertunances
We have several years of expertise in inspecting tanks and can provide detailed reports, maps and calculations once the inspections are complete. For more details, please contact us.
Alternating Current Field Measurements (ACFM)
ACFM is a dry, non-contact Electromagnetic Technique used to detect and size defects in metals. It is used mostly to test for defects in weldments and cracks or other defects in plates. This technique can be used to size the depth and length of the defect. Some of the benefits and capabilities of this system include:
- Can be used for both ferrous and non-ferrous materials
- Can be used to detect and size defects such as cracks, linear indications, porosity etc.
- Data is analyzed in real time and results are provided quickly
- Can be used on equipment with coating such as paint
- Tolerant to high temperature
- Dry non-contact method minimizes requirement for increased cleanliness
- Capability includes detection of surface and near surface defects
- High speed in comparison to conventional tecniques such as UT, MT and PT
We have used this technology extensively in various industries to test pressure vessels, columns, plates and pipes. Since the system in portable, it can be used in a variety of industry settings. Data Collection and analysis is quick followed by reporting. For additional informational, please contact us.